Armed police search house over Tube bomb

Media play-back is unsupported on your device

Media caption Law enforcement cordons are in place around the home street in Surrey

Law enforcement have arrested an 18-year-old guy on suspicion of a terror offence in connection with Friday’s attack on a Greater london Tube train.

Equipped police are continuing to search a home in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey.

The arrest is “very significant” and the terror threat level continues to be “critical”, Metropolitan Police Deputy Associate Commissioner Neil Basu said.

The man was arrested within the departure area of Dover port upon Saturday and has been moved to the London police station.

Thirty people were injured after the huge increase on a train at Parsons Eco-friendly.

The detain sparked an evacuation of Dover port and a number of items had been recovered in a police search, Mister Basu said, adding that investigators were “keeping an open mind” about whether more people were involved in the Pipe attack.

Residents associated with houses surrounding the Sunbury-on-Thames house have been allowed to return home right after being evacuated by officers previously Saturday.

Local people said the property being searched simply by police is occupied by the wife and hubby Ronald Jones, 88, and Penelope Jones, 71.

The particular couple are known for fostering many kids and young people over several years, and in 2010 were rewarded by the Full by being made MBEs .

Image copyright PA
Image caption Penelope and Ronald Jones, who were produced MBEs in 2010, live in the house in the centre of a police search

One neighbor, Anna Wilkins, told BBC Information she was “shaking like jelly” after being told by armed law enforcement to leave the home she stocks with her partner and 2 young children.

“As I actually walked out of my house I saw 3 armed officers, ” she stated. “One had a balaclava on, most of I could see were his eye, I was really frightened. ”

Many residents had been evacuated to Staines Rugby Club exactly where one local, Dan Norcott, stated the council had begun producing preliminary arrangements for hotel lodging.

Media playback is unsupported in your device

Media caption “An officer banged to the door quite severely and stated ‘Out now you’ve got two minutes'”

After a meeting of the government’s Cobra emergency committee earlier, Home Admin Amber Rudd said it was “much too early” to say whether all those behind the attack were proven to authorities, adding: “The operation is usually ongoing”.

The particular terror threat level was raised in order to critical, meaning an attack may be certain, on Friday evening.

Met Police Commissioner Cressida Cock described the attack as “cowardly and indiscriminate”.

Microsoft Dick, who travelled by Pipe before joining Met officers patrolling the South Bank, said: “London has not stopped after other horrible attacks and it will not stop following this one. ”

Picture copyright PA
Picture caption Met Police Office Cressida Dick joined police patrolling London’s South Bank

Operation Temperer, that involves the use of the military was set up after the threat level was raised and it is being stepped up gradually.

Home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said it is mainly centered on London and the south-east of Britain and is described as “light-touch”, and not on a single scale as what was seen following the Stansted Arena attack .

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said “significant” police action would continue this weekend.

More armed law enforcement officers will be present at London Subterranean stations, as well as at stations throughout England, Scotland and Wales, Uk Transport Police Assistant Chief Constable Robin Smith told the BBC.

Most people caught within the blast were treated for minimal injuries and have been released, NHS England said, but three individuals remain in Chelsea and Westminster medical center in central London.


Analysis: The ‘critical’ change

Image copyright PA

By BBC safety correspondent Frank Gardner

This is the fourth time the united kingdom national terror threat level continues to be raised to critical since the program was made public in 2006.

The last time is at May following the Manchester Arena bombing, when it was wrongly thought the particular bomb-maker was still at large and may strike again.

On Friday the government delayed increasing the threat level to crucial for more than 12 hours under assistance from the Joint Terrorism Analysis Center. On Saturday the home secretary mentioned it would remain at this level, implying that despite the arrest there is nevertheless thought to be a risk of an additional imminent attack.

Every time the level has gone to critical, they have only stayed at this highest amount of alertness for three to four times – this is partly as it requires an unsustainably high tempo for your police, intelligence and security providers.

Extra patrols are mounted on the streets associated with London, covert surveillance is walked up and troops are used to free up police officers to focus on the primary effort: catching the bomber just before he can plant another device.

But the very undeniable fact that Friday’s attack took place with no caution shows this system is only a broad explained the threat and simply reflects the most recent assessment.


The BBC understands CCTV pictures have been obtained of the person thought of planting the explosive gadget.

The Islamic State group has said it was at the rear of the bomb, which detonated with 08: 20 BST on Fri.

It is understood the unit had a timer, but the BBC’s protection correspondent Frank Gardner said the particular bomb appeared not to have eliminated off properly.

Image copyright PA
Image caption Police possess spoken to 100 witnesses up to now and received 180 images and videos through the public

Had it worked as designed, it would have killed everyone close to it and maimed everyone within the train carriage for life, he mentioned.

The Met’s Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley stated it was “very routine” for the Islamic State group to claim the particular attack, whether in contact with those included or not.

They desire anyone with information to get in touch and also to upload pictures and video towards the website www.ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk or to contact the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.


Were you in Parsons Green station? Did a person witness the events? If it’s secure to share your experiences then make sure you email haveyoursay@bbc. co. united kingdom together with your stories

Make sure you include a contact number if you are ready to speak to a BBC journalist. You may also contact us in the following ways: