Barcelona terror attack: At least 13 dead after van plows into crowd; 2 suspects arrested

Law enforcement are on the hunt for the driver from the van that rammed through a packed tourist area in Barcelona Thursday night, killing 13 people and wounding more than 100 others in what researchers called an act of fear.

At least two people have been arrested because suspects in the attack, according to the local president of Catalonia. One of the potential foods is a Spanish national from Melilla, and the other is a Moroccan resident who lived in Spain legally.

ISIS stated responsibility for the terror attack upon Thursday through its propaganda provide, according to SITE Intel Group.

“The perpetrators of the attack in #Barcelona are usually Islamic state soldiers and performed the operation on command of [ISIS’ leader]  of targeting coalition countries, ” the ISIS launch stated.

A senior police formal said the van attack will be connected to a gas explosion within a house in the town of Alcanar Wednesday, in which one person was slain and seven were injured.  

Law enforcement initially named Driss Oukabir, the particular Moroccan, as a suspect in the strike. However , local media are confirming a man with that name told law enforcement that his identification documents had been stolen, possibly by his young brother.

Oukabir rented the van which was used in the attack, according to El Pais .  

A government official offers confirmed to Fox News that cleverness agencies are now combing through their particular holdings, including terror watch listings, to determine if Oukabir was proven to the FBI, DHS and other companies. Officials are also working to determine if the particular suspect was blocked from getting into the U. S., or issue was a radicalized individual that was not upon government radar.

BARCELONA TERROR ATTACK: TIMELINE ASSOCIATED WITH RECENT VEHICLE INCIDENTS IN EUROPEAN COUNTRIES

The white van hopped onto a sidewalk and sped through a pedestrian zone on  Las Ramblas of Barcelona , the famous main people walk way that crosses the town. The van swerved from side to side because it plowed into tourists and inhabitants.

“It was clearly a terror assault, intended to kill as many people as it can be, ” senior police official Josep Lluis Trapero said at a information conference.

State-owned broadcaster RTVE reported that will investigators think two vans had been used — one for the strike and a second as a getaway vehicle.

Police wiped out a gunman in a shootout a couple of miles from Barcelona soon after the particular crash, El Mundo newspaper documented. However , police said later the particular gunman was not linked to the terror strike.

Nearby media originally reported two guys involved in the attack had been holed upward in a bar, but that was dispelled by Catalan police.

Barcelona Mayor Wujud Colau announced a minute of stop will be held Friday in the city’s main square “to show that individuals are not scared. ” The moment associated with silence will be followed by three times of mourning.

“We are a strong city in the diversity and values. Barcelona is really a city of peace, of dialogue, associated with democracy, valient, open to the world. The particular cowards that have tried to plant fear will not get away with it, ” Colau said.

“London, Brussels, Paris and some some other European cities have had the same encounter. It’s been Barcelona’s turn today, inch said Carles Puigdemont, the head from the regional government.

Prime Minister of The country Mariano Rajoy tweeted that he will probably Barcelona.  

BARCELONA TERROR ATTACK: LAWMAKERS PLUS NATIONAL FIGURES REACT

The grisly video of the incident seemed to show at least five people resting motionless on the ground, with legs garbled and heads bloodied.

“It was actual chaos, people started running, shouting. There was a loud bang, inch eyewitness Ethan Spibey told Sky Information .

Footage from reporters on the ground displays armed officers combing a market.

Albert Tort, a 47-year-old nurse who life near Las Ramblas, told Este Pais that what he noticed at the scene was an “authentic disaster. ”

“Police would not let me undergo but I identified myself as being a nurse and I went in, inch he said. “What I saw has been an authentic disaster. I counted a minimum of 6 dead, I tried to restore a young [man] however it was impossible. ”

“I heard many people screaming and then I saw the vehicle going down the boulevard, ” one more witness, Miguel Angel Rizo, stated, “You can see all the bodies resting through Las Ramblas. It was raw. A very tough image to see. inch

Barcelona resident Keith Fleming told the particular Associated Press he was watching tv in his building on a side road just off Las Ramblas whenever he heard a noise plus went out to the balcony to investigate.

Fleming mentioned he saw “women and kids just running and they looked afraid, ” he then heard a hammer, possibly from someone rolling straight down a store shutter, as more people ran by.

The American living in the The spanish language city said police arrived, plus pushed everyone a full block across the street. He says the officers still exist with guns drawn and huge range police stationed at the end of the obstruct.

Chief executive Trump condemned the attack, stating in a tweet, “The United States condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is essential to help. Be tough & solid, we love you! ”

Speaking from Panama, Vice President Pence called the day “tragic. ” He acknowledged that ISIS took credit for the attack, yet said “whoever is responsible ought to know, together with our allies, we will reprimand those responsible” and rid “Islamic terror” from the world.

BARCELONA ‘TERROR’: TRUMP, CONDITION DEPARTMENT MONITORING SPAIN ATTACK

Emergency services in Catalonia state they have asked the Metro plus train services in the area to shut. Police cordoned off the broad road and shut down its stores, plus asked people to stay away from the area in order not to get in the way of the emergency solutions.  

Facebook has activated its Protection Check feature that lets customers notify friends and family that they are safe following a Barcelona attack.

Barcelona’s tourism association offers offered rooms in area resorts to tourists who have been displaced simply by ther attack.

The U. S consulate in Barcelona said on Tweets it was “aware of a reported occurrence at Las Ramblas in Barcelona. Please avoid the area and keep track of local police @mossos for up-dates. ”

“Americans in Spain: If you are safe, make sure to notify friends and loved ones. If you utilize social media, be sure to update your standing, ” the consulate tweeted.