Dogs ill after supermarket postal promo

Image copyright Dan Dugdale
Image caption Dan Dugdale contacted Sainsbury’s after working a “stressed evening at the vet’s” with Suzie

Pet owners have lamented to Sainsbury’s after their canines have fallen ill from consuming promotional chocolate sent through the posting.

The supermarket string has posted free Green & Black’s chocolate bars to the reward card holders in latest days.

Vets have warned that dogs only have to consume a very small amount of chocolate to get themselves in an “emergency situation”.

Sainsbury’s says it is checking out complaints “as a matter of urgency”.

Sarah Hayward’s cocker spaniel Jarvis was rushed to the veterinarian after he tore into the marketing box while she was at the office.

She told BBC Radio 5 Reside : “My parents, who emerged home to let the dogs away at lunchtime, found the bare packet on his bed – plus obviously they were trying to work out what was initially.

“They realised it was chocolate and the 2nd they called the vet they were informed to rush him straight within.

“He was placed on various drips to flush liquids down him to try and induce your pet to be sick and, yes, it had been a bit of a worry”.

Picture copyright Sarah Hayward
Image caption Sainsbury’s offers apologised to owners of the canines affected, which include Jarvis

Meanwhile, Sammy Taylor swift, from Kent, wrote on Fb that she was “furious” with all the supermarket chain.

She said her puppy’s tummy was pumped after it got the chocolate.

Serta Dugdale, from York, said this individual contacted Sainsbury’s after spending a “stressed evening at the vet’s” with his canine.

He declared that the actual reward card-holder did not reside at his address.

A Sainsbury’s spokesperson said the business was “extremely sorry for the stress caused”.

“We know chocolate is unsafe to get pets to eat and that’s why we had procedures in place to safeguard against pet owners getting this promotion, ” they additional.

Green & Black’s declined to comment.

‘Big threat’

Dr Huw Stacey, Director associated with Clinical Services at Vets4Pets, described that chocolate can be toxic with regard to dogs – especially dark chocolate because it contains higher levels of chocolate shades.

Chocolate contains theobromine, a naturally occurring chemical present in cocoa beans. It is fine meant for humans to eat, but dogs are not able to metabolise it.

He or she told BBC Radio 5 Reside: “It only takes a very small quantity of dark chocolate to pose a big risk for dogs.

“The important thing is that the sooner you can do some thing about it, the better. If they’ve simply eaten it you can give them medicines to make them vomit it back upward again and get it out of their particular system”.

According to the Uk Veterinary Association (BVA), chocolate could be poisonous for any animal but canines are the most commonly affected pets:

  • They usually show signs of poisoning within 12 hours but signs and symptoms can last for up to three days.
  • Signs and symptoms include excessive thirst, vomiting, diarrhoea and restlessness.
  • They can grow into hyperactivity, tremors, abnormal heart rate, hyperthermia and rapid breathing.
  • Within the worst cases, dogs can encounter fits and in some cases can fall into the coma or die.

Owners who else know their dogs have ingested chocolate are advised to call their vets “even if they look well within themselves”, as the symptoms may not appear in the first hour or so, Doctor Stacey said.

Related Topics