Cult comedy Dad Ted is set to return as a music, its co-creator has confirmed.
Graham Linehan stated the show, called Pope Ted: The Father Ted Musical, was nearly written.
Other writer Arthur Matthews and the Work Comedy’s Neil Hannon, who published the show’s theme tune plus original music, are involved in the task.
Linehan mentioned it would be “the real final show of Father Ted”.
He told the BBC: “It’s like putting on an old pair of house slippers. ”
The sitcom ran for three series between 1995-98 on Channel 4, chronicling the particular escapades of Irish parish clergyman Father Ted Crilly.
The music will see Ted move from the imaginary Craggy Island to his brand new role as Pope in the Vatican.
Linehan, who seem to also created Channel 4 sitcom the IT Crowd and co-created sitcom Black Books, said the particular musical was about “the least certified man in the world becoming Pope”.
He said: “I did not want to do anything like this until the correct idea came along, and when Trump earned and Corbyn won [the Labour leadership] I kind of thought, ‘Maybe Ted has a chance’.
“I thought it didn’t be too much of a stretch. Certainly we’re pulling some shenanigans to obtain him into that position yet I think the shenanigans are enjoyable enough that people won’t mind. inch
‘Down with this sort of thing’: A brief history of Father Ted
Father Ted became a hit within the 1990s, chronicling the life of the eponymous character, the gormless but loveable Father Dougal McGuire, foul-mouthed intoxicated Father Jack Hackett and tea-obsessed Mrs Doyle.
- Stars Ardal O’Hanlon and Pauline McLynn went on to enjoy mainstream achievement. But Dermot Morgan, who performed Father Ted, died from a myocardial infarction the day after filming the final show
- Actors, artists and TV personas who appeared in the show integrated One Foot In The Grave Celebrity Richard Wilson, presenter Graham Norton, Dervla Kirwan from BBC Tv shows Ballykissangel and Altered Images business lead singer Clare Grogan
- Storylines incorporated Ted kicking Bishop Brennan within the backside, a group of priests getting dropped in “Ireland’s biggest lingerie section”, and Ted trying to become Ireland’s Eurovision nomination with the song, Our Lovely Horse
The Father Ted theme tune is definitely taken from the Divine Comedy track, Songs of Love.
Hannon, the band’s direct singer – who is writing the background music for the musical – collaborated along with Linehan and Matthews on music for the original sitcom, the most popular being My Lovely Horse — which he also sang within the episode.
He furthermore wrote the theme music for your IT Crowd.
Lineham said the particular team did not know where the music would debut but said this individual hoped it would be on stage next year.
It is the first time within 20 years that he and Matthews possess returned to the characters from Dad Ted.
Linehan said: “You can pull probably the most ridiculous stunts to get around a story problem… and it’s lovely to be dealing with Arthur again. ”
From small screen to the Western End: TV shows that are turned into musicals
- Jerry Springer The Opera: The satirical musical, in line with the American TV show, was written by Stewart Lee and Richard Thomas. The broadcast of the show on BBC Two elicited 55, 000 problems and protests by Christian organizations outside BBC offices
- I Can’t Sing: A musical inspired by the By Factor was written by Harry Slope and debuted on the West Result in 2014, but ended its pursue six weeks
- Just Fools And Horses: The Every day Mail has reported comedian John Whitehouse and Jim Sullivan (the son of display creator John) have written the particular “lovely jubbly” musical, and could achieve the stage in February 2019