Just how much federal waste, duplication and weird or unnecessary spending are your tax dollars funding?
The ever-rising federal financial debt just surpassed $21 trillion final month – at least $65, 000 for everyone in the U. S. Just how much government waste, duplication, and weird or even unnecessary spending are your taxes dollars funding?
It’ s difficult to know where to begin, but here are some beginners.
Sampling into the trillions of dollars within annual spending, our government openness organization, OpenTheBooks. com , recently analyzed Washington’ s discretionary grants program – beyond such big-ticket items since health, welfare and defense. All of us found that the feds doled out there 560, 771 grants totaling $583 billion during fiscal year 2016, the most recent year on record.
This means, typically, each grant exceeded $1 million. Its not all federal grant is wasteful, yet there are plenty that are highly questionable.
Consider these types of outlandish examples from the Department associated with Health and Human Services (HHS) within the final year of the Obama Administration. (We’ ve included the names of the congressional representatives for the zip codes where the give was received. )
· Sex-Ed for Prostitutes: Barbara Shelter, D-Calif. – The particular California Prostitutes Education Project obtained nearly $1. 5 million through HHS to teach sex-ed to prostitutes. The project seeks to teach prostitutes about safer sex and hook use in a way that’ s sincere to its clients’ lifestyle plus choices – even though prostitution is certainly illegal in California and forty eight other states.
· Designing Condoms: Frederick Kennedy III, D-Mass. – More than $200, 000 financed a new condom design to address “ a lack of adequate lubrication, ” presently a “ universal drawback” consist of condom designs. The grant receiver – a company called Hydroglyde Films with the sole mission to design the right condom lubricant – should account its own research and development.
· Video Game for Your Future Self: Robert Wittman, R-Va. – More than $650, 000 funded video gaming designed to “ make the future really feel close, ” allowing adolescents to learn their future selves. These video games are titled “ My Entire world of Dreams, ” “ The particular Valley of Others, ” “ Frustration Bridge, ” and “ The ocean of Hope. ”
· Pedestrian Training in China: Terri Sewell, D-Ala. – The University of Alabama obtained $183, 750 to develop a virtuelle realit?t platform to teach children how to mix the street – about since far from Alabama as possible .
· E-Diary just for Micro-Aggressions: Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill. – Northern Illinois College received $173, 089 from HHS for a four-week study in which “ radically diverse bisexual women” noted their experience with micro-aggressions using a day-to-day e-diary.
Health & Human Services was your biggest porker by far – doling out roughly $4 of every $5 in federal grants. The total give tab at HHS was $421 billion.
But the waste didn’ t simply flow from there. Ten other federal government agencies doled out more than $1 billion in grants in financial year 2016 – and many of the agencies went off-mission in doing this.
· Galactic Animated Toons: Mo Brooks, R-Ala. – The National Aeronautics plus Space Administration (NASA) awarded $2. 5 million in grant financing to the Alabama Space Science Display Commission to produce two seasons associated with “ Space Racers, ” a good animated children’ s cartoon where the main characters embark on several galactic adventures.
· Zoombinis Computer Game: Katherine Clark, D-Mass. – The National Technology Foundation (NSF) granted more than $658, 000 to redevelop a 1990s computer game called “ The Reasonable Journey of the Zoombinis” where kids create their own small blue beast – the Zoombini – to assist them through adventure challenges.
· Hobo Day: Kristi Noem, R-S. D., zip program code 57007 – The grant for nearly $12, 000 through the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) funded South Dakota State’ h Historic Hobo Day where learners dress up as “ hobos” and march through the streets.
There is more, much more. And today you can see it all for yourself, zip program code by zip code, with an interactive chart we’ ve constructed at OpentheBooks. com . When you open up the tool, you will be swallowed within a sea of red – we mapped every grant to a zip program code pin. It may look intimidating – but simply focus in or get into your zip code in the lookup bar above the map, simply click a pin, then scroll down to find the results.
You can go, for example , in order to ZIP code 02539. That’ t Martha’ s Vineyard, a very trendy, affluent Massachusetts island off Shawl Cod. The little airport there obtained $9. 2 million in government grants during fiscal year 2016 – your subsidy to the really rich crowd. (Martha’ s Winery is a favorite destination of Leader Barack Obama, old East coastline monied families, and the Hollywood top notch. )
The point is that the checks are created in Washington, D. C., however they are usually cashed in your very own backyard. Click on right here to access the chart below and search all $583 billion in federal grants.
Recently, all of us launched this search tool together with 50 highlighted examples of waste within our thirty six page oversight report , Where’ s The Pork?
We discovered that political figures in both parties can’ t wait around to spend your money: pork barrel investing is absolutely bipartisan. In the top 10 grant-receiving congressional districts, five were displayed by Democrats while five had been represented by Republicans. Of the best 50 grant-receiving districts, 27 had been represented by Democrats while twenty three were represented by Republicans.
As you research, you’ ll even find vast amounts of taxpayer dollars subsidized for-profit businesses. Thirty-three companies in the Fortune one hundred received $3. 2 billion within federal grants between fiscal 12 months 2014 and 2016.
Boeing Corp. obtained the most: $774 million during this period. Yet Boeing surely can’ t believe they needed the subsidy… along with $95 billion in 2016 product sales revenues.
Government waste isn’ to new, but things seem a lot more out of control than ever.
So , how do we end this insanity? Our aim would be to give you the tools to hold them responsible for tax-and-spend decisions.
It’ s time to get citizens to bring the heat, so the political figures will see the light of fiscal constraint.