George Hernandez hadn’t heard of ” Hantavirus ” till his 9-year-old son, Fernando, has been diagnosed with the disease just days back.
Initially, Hernandez thought his son has been sick with the flu. He had been throwing up and missed a day of faculty around Jan. 28, but their dad sent him back when using the to feel better.
“I said, ‘You’ll end up being alright, ‘” Hernandez told Sibel News. “He went to school, nevertheless he came back, he was beginning to get worse. ”
The concerned father hurried Fernando to a nearby hospital within Farmington, New Mexico, where he had been admitted for 10 days. Doctors went tests after X-rays revealed places on his lungs.
Without a confirmed diagnosis, Fernando was released from the hospital, along with several medicine and a couple of oxygen reservoirs. He was told to relax.
“His lungs will clear up, ” Hernandez recalls doctors telling him.
But they didnt – and days later, “things got really bad, ” Hernandez said.
Fernandez couldn’t breathe on his own plus was taken back to the hospital. Their condition was so serious, a healthcare facility airlifted him to Children’s Medical center Colorado in Aurora.
Again, doctors ran several exams, but everything came back negative.
“They did not know what the hell was taking place, ” Hernandez said. “They had been like a mechanic, picking at factors here and there. ”
At one point, physicians suggested mold was the cause of Fernando’s signs and symptoms. Hernandez even called an expert to examine his house in Farmington, however it came back clean.
Fernando’s heart nearly ceased and he underwent several surgeries prior to being hooked up to an Extracorporeal Membrane layer Oxygenation (ECMO) machine, a healthcare device that takes over the responsibilities of the heart and lungs by pumping plus oxygenating a person’s blood.
“[Doctors] didn’t know what the hell has been going on. They were like a mechanic, choosing at things here and there. ”
This week, Hernandez finally got an answer: Hantavirus, an unusual illness that is spread through connection with infected deer mice or their own droppings or urine.
It’s rare. Since January 2017, a total of 728 cases had been reported across thirty six states, according to the Centers for Disease Manage and Prevention (CDC) . Nearly all cases were reported in declares west of the Mississippi River.
The virus, which usually kills a reported 36 percent associated with victims , cannot be transmitted from person to another.
“Farmington is a farming neighborhood and they tell us it’s in the ground. I had my son help me thoroughly clean the backyard two months ago – I just really hope it was not that, ” Hernandez said, incorporating that the sickness slowly attacks your body and symptoms don’t appear immediately.
Fernando is the 2nd case to be reported in Farmington this year. Last week, Julie Barron, informed Fox News the girl 27-year-old daughter, Kiley, had the particular rare disease.
“We can’t sit back plus let things like this be hidden under the carpet, ” Barron mentioned. “I want people to know about herpes and to keep the name in open up communications, so that nobody else needs to go through this. Not one person. ”
Hernandez obtained in touch with Barron after reading regarding her daughter’s condition. The set plan to continue to spread the word hoping of warning others in the community.
“I’d certainly not heard of this virus until the son and [Barron’s] daughter, ” Hernandez said. “We need to get it out there. There are individuals like me who didn’t even understand. People need to know it exists. inch
Members of the family setup a GoFundMe page Friday to cover medical expenses for that boy, who has been on lifetime support for 21 days.
“There’s simply no cure. It all just depends on the individuals body, but my son’s defense mechanisms for some reason is not fighting it whatsoever, ” Hernandez said. “It’s turmoil right now. ”