Former Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore has asked supporters to get financial assistance to defend against a defamation lawsuit brought by an Alabama female who accused him of physically abusing her when she had been 14 years old.
In a Facebook post this week, Moore said their “ resources have been depleted” and has “ struggled to make finishes meet” due to legal fees plus expenses. He thanked his followers and encouraged them to make contributions to his defense fund.
“ I now face another aggresive attack from lawyers in Wa D. C. and San Francisco who may have hired one of the biggest firms in Greater london Alabama to bring another legal actions against me and ensure that I in no way fight again, ” this individual wrote in the lengthy screed. This individual took the time to excoriate “ gays(i think they are sick), lesbians, and transgenders, ” “ the ultra-liberal media” and “ the Washington establishment. ”
Throughout Moore’ s campaign last year, an Alabama woman named Leigh Corfman informed The Washington Post that he had touched her physically when she was a teen and was 32. Her tale motivated other women to come forward with their own allegations regarding encounters with Moore that ranged in severity from sexual nuisance to attempted rape. Many of them were also under 18 during the time of the incidents.
Corfman filed the defamation suit against Moore in January after he or she repeatedly denied her account.
“[Moore] and his campaign known as me a liar and immoral after i publicly disclosed his misconduct, ” she said in a statement. “ By this lawsuit, I look for to do what I could not do like a 14-year-old — hold Mr. Moore and those who enable him responsible. ”
A donation site for Moore has raised $32, 200 out of a $250, 1000 goal as of Saturday. He has already been asking for money since at least January , when he sent an email in order to supporters requesting contributions.
Moore has been defeated in the Senate race simply by Democratic candidate Doug Jones, who had been sworn into office in The month of january. The former judge has still not really formally conceded the loss.