Victim of Liverpool-Roma attack named

Media play-back is unsupported on your device

Media caption Competitor Liverpool and Roma fans clashed just before the kick-off outside Anfield

A man left in a crucial condition after he was assaulted before Liverpool’s Champions League semi-final against Roma has been named.

Sean Cox, 53, associated with Dunboyne, County Meath in the Irish Republic is in hospital with a mind injury.

Liverpool FC said it was “shocked and appalled” by the incident.

2 men from Rome, aged twenty and 29, have been arrested upon suspicion of attempted murder. 7 others are being held for numerous offences at Tuesday’s match.

The attack happened away from Albert pub in Walton Breck Road, next to Anfield stadium, immediately before kick-off.

Mister Cox has been described as a “long-serving” and “popular” member of the Saint Peter’s Gaelic football club in Dunboyne.

Picture caption Forensics officers had been called to the scene of the assault just yards from Anfield arena

Golf club chairman Fergus McNulty said: “We hope Sean is receiving all of the health care he requires and that he the full and speedy recovery.

“Our thoughts plus prayers are with Sean great family, and we hope that they obtain the privacy and space they need. inch

Det Insp John Speight of Merseyside Police stated witnesses reported Mr Cox had been hit with a belt and then dropped to the ground.

“His condition is currently described as critical great next of kin have been well informed, ” he said.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing a group of Roma fans descend on the road outside Anfield where Liverpool supporters had collected.

The Arrests

• A 20-year-old guy from Rome: arrested on mistrust of attempted murder and delivered to a police station for job interview

• A 29-year-old man from Rome: arrested upon suspicion of attempted murder plus taken to a police station to become interviewed

• The 38-year-old from Italy: arrested upon suspicion of affray and ownership of an offensive weapon, held in a police station for interview

• A 28-year-old guy from Italy: arrested on mistrust of criminal damage to a chair and for throwing items inside Anfield, taken to a police station meant for interview

• The 28-year-old man from Italy: imprisoned on suspicion of possession of the offensive weapon, held at a law enforcement station to be interviewed

• A 35-year-old man through Ealing: arrested on suspicion associated with causing actual bodily harm, delivered to a police station to be evaluated

• A 35-year-old man from Thurrock, Essex: caught for affray, taken to a law enforcement station to be interviewed

• A 40-year-old man through Kirkby: arrested on suspicion to be drunk and disorderly, issued having a fixed penalty notice

• A 42-year-old man through Stockbridge Village: arrested on mistrust of possession of a Class The drug (cocaine), issued with a extreme care

Image caption A supporter was seen holding a hammer outside Anfield

BBC Sports activity news correspondent David Ornstein stated the pre-match trouble started in 19: 05 BST when a “group of Roma fans arrived through Venmore Street, burst on to Walton Breck Road and attacked, numerous using belts”. He witnessed one particular man carrying a hammer near to the ground.

Student Thomas Ellis, 22, said: “It had been horrible to see, some had bats and others were swinging at individuals with belts with buckles out.

“They were beaten back again by Liverpool fans and then the authorities on horseback charged. ”

Builder Mark Wilson, 39, said: “There were about twenty Roma fans who charged plus were hitting out at individuals with belts.

“Liverpool supporters then threw bottles and containers at them and chased all of them off. ”

Image caption Law enforcement are investigating an assault away from Albert pub

In a statement, the Italian language club said it condemned within “the strongest possible terms the particular abhorrent behaviour of a small group of travelling fans who delivered shame on the club and the majority of Roma’s well-behaved supporters”.

A club spokesman mentioned there was “no place for this kind of vile behaviour in football” and it also was “co-operating” with authorities.

European football’s governing entire body, Uefa, condemned the events because “vile”.

“The perpetrators of this ignominious attack have no put in place and around football and we rely on they will be dealt with utmost severity from the authorities, ” it said

“Uefa is waiting to get full reports before deciding on possible disciplinary charges. ”

Image copyright Getty Images
Image caption Followers waving flares before the match regardless of requests from the authorities not to take them

Ch Supt Dave Charnock said enthusiasts from both sides had been “involved in isolated pockets of disorder” and detectives were also looking into the use of flares outside Anfield arena prior to the game.

Law enforcement are appealing for anyone with video clip or information to contact them.

Did you see anything? Share your experiences simply by emailing haveyoursay@bbc. co. united kingdom .

You can also contact us within the following ways:

Or please utilize the form below: